Instructions for Pictorial Map Project
- Grid paper
- Map of community (MapQuest on the internet is a good resource)
- Figure out a scale for your map. The scales on the town maps are located in the upper right corner. You will want your map to be in a larger scale so that you can illustrate it. Your grid paper is done in 1/4”.
1/4” = ____ feet
- Draw streets and blocks to scale on the grid using the map of your community. Start with the main part of town in the middle of your paper and work your way out.
- Leave room at the bottom for a legend, including a scale, and a compass rose. You can use the compass rose that you created on page 1.
- Add buildings and other landmarks. Try to make the buildings look like the ones they are representing.
(See the Shaker Village Map on page 2).
- Photocopy on clean white paper – the blue grid should not show up.
- Use markers to color your map.